Want to make perfect, juicy burgers? Follow these 5 easy tips.
Which cuts of beef make the best burger? How do you produce a perfect, juicy patty every time? The height of grilling season is a good time to roll up your sleeves and find out.
- Develop a one-on-one relationship with the butcher at your favorite market and ask him to toss in ground veal or steak trimmings with your ground meat.
- If you want great flavor, don’t get all “diet-y” about your burger. A great hamburger needs a little fat to work up a good sizzle, so choose ground chuck or Angus over leaner cuts of ground beef.
- Avoid pre-packaged, pre-formed patties at any and all costs.
- Avoid also the temptation to form gigantic, “man-sized” burgers. Thin patties cook more quickly and stay juicier.
- Observe the cardinal rule of burger-making—either grilling or pan-frying: Leave it alone. Less flipping, more sipping (beer, soda, whatever grillside beverage you have handy). Strict adherence to this rule will produce a superior burger every time. Why the sipping? Because it keeps your hands busy so you won’t over-flip that burger.
A splash of fish sauce adds tons of interest to these burgers.
Ground beef, bacon and blue cheese team up for one outstanding burger.
Canned black beans + lean ground beef = one delicious lower-fat burger.
Boursin and mozzarella cheese top this hearty burger.