White Chocolate Blondies for Bake Sale Season
- Yield: 2
- 1/2cup (1 stick) butter
- 2cups white chocolate chips
- 1cup dark brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/2teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2cups all-purpose flour
- 1teaspoon kosher salt
- 1cup walnuts, toasted and lightly chopped
- Preheat the oven to 350˚F. Lightly butter a 9 x 13-inch pan and line with parchment paper, allowing enough overhang on the long side to lift the blondies from the pan.
- Place the butter and 1 cup chocolate chips in a small saucepan over the lowest possible heat and cook until almost all the chocolate has melted. Off heat, stir until smooth. Set aside to cool to room temperature.
- Place the sugar, eggs, and vanilla in the bowl of a mixer fitted with a whisk attachment and whip until lemon-colored and thick.
- Replace the whisk attachment with the paddle and add the flour, salt, walnuts, and remaining 1 cup chocolate chips and beat on the lowest speed until just combined. Scrape down the sides of the bowl, add the cooled chocolate mixture, and beat until just combined.
- Pour into the prepared pan, smooth with a knife, and transfer to the oven. Bake until the top is just beginning to brown and a tester inserted in the center comes out clean, 20 to 22 minutes. Be careful not to overbake. Cool in the pan slightly and then cut into 24 bars.
—Reprinted with Permission from Cookies for Kids Cancer: Best Bake Sale Cookbook (Wiley 2011)