Warm Buttermilk Sauce and Toasted Angel Food Cake
- Yield: 6 to 8 servings
Allow leftovers to cool completely. Refrigerate and use immediately.
- 2cups buttermilk
- 1/2cup sugar
- 1tablespoon cornstarch
- 3 egg yolks
- 1teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 6 to 8slices angel food cake (1-inch thick)
- In a large saucepan, whisk together the buttermilk, sugar, cornstarch, and egg yolks,.
- Place over medium heat and bring to a boil, whisking constantly. Boil for 1 minute, and remove from heat . Stir in the extract and set aside. Makes 2 1/3 cups.
- Set broiler to high. Place the angel food cake slices on an ungreased baking sheet and place under the broler. Toast until golden brown on one side.
- Serve with the toasted side up, and generously spoon the warm sauce over top. Serve immediately.
Reprinted with permission from Tammy Algood’s In a Snap: Tasty Southern Recipes You Can Make in 5, 10, 15, or 30 Minutes (Thomas Nelson, 2013).