- 1tablespoon olive oil
- 1cup chopped onion
- 1 red bell pepper, cored, chopped
- 1cup sliced mushrooms
- 1teaspoon minced garlic
- 2 (5-ounce) packages yelllow rice
- Water (according to rice package directions)
- 1cup chopped tomatoes
- 1 (15-ounce) can black beans, rinsed, drained
- 1 (10-ounce) package frozen peas, thawed or frozen edamame, thawed
- 1/2teaspoon paprika
- 1teaspoon dried basil leaves
- Heat oil over medium heat in a large nonstick pot. Toss in onion, red pepper, mushrooms and garlic; saute until tender, about 5-7 minutes.
- Add rice and water and bring ingredients to a boil. Reduce heat and cook for an additional 20-25 minutes, or until rice is tender.
- Combine with remaining ingredients and thoroughly heat.
Recipe reprinted with permission from Gulf Coast Favorites (Holly Clegg, 2008). For more from Holly, follow along at her website, Trim & Terrific. .
Nutritional Info *per serving
- Calories 227
- Fat 2g
- Saturated Fat 0g
- Cholesterol 0mg
- Sodium 668mg
- Carbohydrate 43g
- Fiber 6g
- Sugars 5g
- Protein 9g