Thumbprint Jelly Cookies
- Yield: 2
- 1cup (2 sticks) butter, softened
- 1/2cup sugar
- 2cups flour
- Egg whites, lightly beaten
- Ground pecans (optional)
- Jam or jelly
- Beat the butter in a mixing bowl until creamy. Add the sugar and beat until light and fluffy. Beat in the flour.
- Shape the dough into 3/4-inch balls. Dip the balls in egg whites and roll in pecans.
- Arrange on a cookie sheet. Bake at 350 degrees for 5 minutes.
- Make an indentation in the center of each hot cookie with the thumb or the back of a spoon.
- Fill the indentations with jam or jelly and bake for 15 minutes longer or untl light brown.
- Cool on the cookie sheet for 2 minutes. Remove to a wire rack to cool completely.
NOTE: As an alternative to jam or jelly, the indentations may be filled with frosting after the cookies have been baked and decored with sprinkles or marshmallows.
Recipe reprinted with permission from the Junior League of Austin, Austin Entertains (The Junior League of Austin, 2001)