Thai Noodle Salad
- Yield: 6 to 8 servings
- Prep: 45 minutes
- 1pound fusilli pasta
- 2tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 carrots, cut into 2-inch-long matchsticks (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into 1 1/2-inch-long matchsticks (about 2 cups)
- 1 1/2cups chopped asparagus, tips and tender stalks (about 12 ounces)
- 1 1/2cups sliced fresh shiitake mushrooms (4 ounces)
- Thai Dressing:
- 2teaspoons finely grated lime rind
- 1/4cup fresh lime juice
- 1 1/2teaspoons rice vinegar
- 1tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1cup unsweetened coconut milk
- 1 fresh hot pepper, coarsely chopped
- 2tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro, Thai basil or regular basil
- 1 green onion, coarsely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, pressed or chopped
- 1teaspoon ground coriander seeds
- 1 1/2teaspoons salt
- 2tablespoons brown sugar
- Cook pasta in a large pot of salted water until al dente. Drain, reserving 2 tablespoons cooking liquid, and transfer to a large serving bowl.
- Warm oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add carrots and sauté 2 minutes. Add bell peppers, asparagus and mushrooms; continue sautéing 3 minutes. Add 2 tablespoon reserved pasta cooking liquid; cover and cook until vegetables are tender but still brightly colored, about 2 minutes.
- Place dressing ingredients in a blender jar; purée until smooth.
- Add vegetables and dressing to pasta and mix well. Let stand at room temperature 20 minutes to allow flavors to develop. Best served at room temperature. Serve with Thai Baked Tofu.
Reprinted with permission from the Moosewood Collective’s Moosewood Restaurant Favorites (St. Martin’s Press, 2013).