Stuffed Shells with Pumpkin
- Yield: 6 to 8 servings
"I developed this recipe after I tasted some squash-stuffed ravioli in a restaurant. I raise a lot of squash and pumpkin. This is a great way to prepare it."
- 1 (12-ounce) package jumbo pasta shells
- 1/2cup butter or margarine
- 1/4cup plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2cups milk
- 1 1/2cups grated Parmesan or Romano cheese
- 2cups cooked pumpkin or squash
- 2cups ricotta cheese
- 1cup chopped raw spinach
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1clove garlic, crushed
- Olive oil
- 1cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Boil pasta until done, and rinse with cold water. Do not overcook or shells will tear when being stuffed.
- Melt butter in a medium saucepan. Stir in flour; continue stirring and add milk. When sauce thickens, stir in 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese. If too thick, add another 1/2 cup milk. Season to taste and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine 1 cup Parmesan cheese, pumpkin, ricotta, spinach, salt, pepper and garlic. Lightly oil a 2-quart baking dish. Stuff shells with pumpkin filling, and place in baking dish. Cover shells with sauce. Sprinkle mozzarella over top. Bake 30 to 35 minutes, until golden and bubbly. Let cool for 10 minutes before serving.
Tips From Our Test Kitchen: Gruyere cheese is a nice substitute for mozzarella.
Recipe by Selenda Girardin, Newbury, Vt.