Stuffed Eggplants with Tomato Sauce
- Yield: 6 servings
- Prep: 30 minutes + 35 minutes standing
- Cook: 30 minutes
- 6 long aubergines (eggplants)
- 1tablespoon coarse salt
- 2tablespoons olive oil, plus extra for deep-frying
- 2-3tablespoons capers
- 3 eggs
- 3/4cup Parmesan cheese, grated, plus extra for sprinkling
- 6 1/2cups fresh breadcrumbs
- 1 3/4cups tomato sauce
- Salt and pepper
- Halve the eggplants lengthways, then scoop out the flesh, reserving the empty shells. Place the flesh in a bowl, add the coarse salt and cover with water. Leave to stand for 30 minutes. Drain well, then use your hands to squeeze out any remaining water.
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of oil in a saucepan and fry the aubergine flesh for about 5 minutes, until soft and lightly browned. Drain on paper towels, then place in a bowl. Add the capers, eggs, cheese and breadcrumbs to form a soft stuffing. Season to taste. Fill the reserved aubergine shells with the stuffing.
- Heat a 1-inch depth of oil in a frying pan or skillet until very hot. Put the filled shells in the pan, stuffing side down, and fry for about 3 minutes, until browned and heated through. Lift out with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towels.
- Pour the tomato sauce into an oven dish, arrange the fried aubergines in it, stuffing side up, and bake for 20 minutes. Allow to stand for 5 minutes before serving. Sprinkle with grated Parmesan to serve.
Recipe from Puglia from the Silver Spoon Collection (Phaidon, 2015).