- Yield: servings
"With an abundance of garden vegetables, I have experimented with creative uses for zucchini and yellow squash. The fritters have been enjoyed during our annual July family beach gathering. They're a favorite with young and old."
- 3tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2/3cup milk
- 1/2cup self-rising cornmeal
- 1cup packed grated yellow squash or zucchini (about 1 medium)
- 2tablespoons grated onion
- 2tablespoons sour cream
- 2tablespoons finely shredded Parmesan
- 1/4teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2teaspoon salt
- 1/4teaspoon black pepper
- Prepared salsa
- Combine 2 tablespoons oil, egg, milk, cornmeal, squash, onion, sour cream, Parmesan, cayenne, salt and black pepper in a medium bowl; mix well. Add additional milk for a thinner consistency or another tablespoon of cornmeal if too runny.
- Heat the remaining 1 tablespoon oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Spoon 1/4 cup batter per fritter into the skillet to make 4 fritters. Cook until golden, about 4 minutes on the first side and 2 minutes on the second side. Repeat with remaining batter. Serve with salsa. Serves 4 as an entree; 8 as a side.
—Susan E. McCoy, Lexington, Va.