Spicy Thai Mushroom Salad
- Yield: 4 servings
- Prep: 10 minutes
- Cook: 4-6 minutes
- 3 1/2ounces ground pork
- 8-10 jumbo shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 11ounces mixed mushrooms, such as straw, king oyster, and Shimeji
- 3tablespoons fish sauce
- 3tablespoons lime juice
- 5-6 bird's chilies (or serranos), finely chopped
- 1 1/2tablespoons light brown sugar
- 1tablespoon finely chopped scallions
- 4-5 shallots, finely sliced
- 1 handful of cilantro, coarsely chopped, to garnish
- Blanch the pork in a pan of boiling water for about 2-3 minutes or until cooked. Drain and set aside.
- Blanch the shrimp in another pan of boiling water for 1-2 minutes, then drain and set aside.
- Blanch the mushrooms in another pan of boiling water for about 30 seconds, then drain and set aside.
- For the dressing, stir the fish sauce, lime juice, chilies, and sugar together in a bowl until the sugar has dissolved. Set aside.
- Put the pork, shrimp, mushrooms, scallions, shallots, and the dressing in a large bowl and mix well. Transfer to a serving plate, sprinkle with the cilantro and serve.
Adapted from Thailand: The Cookbook by Jean-Pierre Gabriel (Phaidon, 2014)