Nutrition Stripped: Southern-Style Skillet Corn Bread
- Yield: 12 servings
- 2cups plus 2 tablespoons cornmeal
- 1cup brown rice flour
- 2teaspoons baking powder
- 1teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 2cups light coconut milk
- 2tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 1/3cup grapeseed oil
- 1tablespoon raw apple cider vinegar
- 1cup frozen corn kernels, thawed
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Optional add-ins (see variations)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 9-or 10-inch cast-iron skillet or 13 × 9-inch baking pan.
- In a large bowl, mix together 2 cups of the cornmeal, the flour, baking powder, salt, nutmeg, and pepper to taste.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the coconut milk, maple syrup, oil, and vinegar. Stir in one of the optional add-ins if using.
- In a small bowl, toss the corn kernels with the remaining 2 tablespoons cornmeal to coat, then add to the dry ingredients. Add the wet mixture to the dry ingredients and stir until well combined.
- Pour the batter into the prepared skillet and bake for 30 to 35 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Cut into slices, squares, or simply break apart a serving with your hands.
From NUTRITION STRIPPED by McKel Hill, MS, RDN. Copyright © 2016 by McKel Hill. Reprinted by permission of William Morrow, an imprint of HarperCollins Publishers.