Simple Shrimp Creole
- Yield: 5 servings
- 1tablespoon canola oil
- 1large onion, chopped
- 1large green bell pepper, chopped
- 4stalks celery, thinly sliced
- 2cloves garlic, minced
- 2cups all-natural chicken broth
- 1can (26 ounce) diced tomatoes
- 10ounces frozen corn kernels, thawed
- 1tablespoon brown sugar
- 1/4teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 1/2pounds shrimp, peeled and deveined
- -- Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan or Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add the onion, pepper, celery, and garlic and cook until the vegetables soften, about 10 minutes.
- Add the chicken broth, tomatoes, corn, sugar, and cayenne pepper, bring to a boil, and then simmer 10 to 15 minutes.
Bring the mixture back to a boil, add the shrimp, and cook until just cooked through, 3 to 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Janice Newell Bissex, MS, RD & Liz Weiss, MS, RD Cofounders, Meal Makeover Moms.com