Simple Herb Butter Roast Turkey
- Dry Brine
- 1 10-12 lb turkey
- 2ounces Kosher salt
- 1/2tablespoon baking powder
- Herb Butter
- 1cup butter
- 1 1/2tablespoons sage
- 1 1/2ounces chopped thyme
- 3ounces chopped parsley
- For the dry brine: Combine kosher salt and baking powder in a medium bowl.
- Remove giblets and neck from a 10-12 lb turkey. Pat turkey dry with paper towels.
- Sprinkle generously with salt / baking powder mixture, ensuring even coverage.
- Transfer the turkey to a rack set in a rimmed baking sheet lined with aluminum foil. Refrigerate for 12-24 hours.
- Remove turkey from refrigerator. Set oven rack to lowest position and place a baking steel on the rack, and preheat oven to 500F for at least 45 minutes.
- For the herb butter: Combine butter, sage, thyme and parsley in a medium bowl. Evenly distribute the herb butter between the skin and the meat.
- Reduce oven temperature to 300F and place turkey/rack/baking sheet directly on baking steel.
- Roast 3-4 hours until golden brown and legs register at 165F.
- Remove from oven and tent with aluminum foil, letting turkey rest 20-30 minutes before carving and serving.