Shrimp Scampi with Broccoli
- Yield: 4 servings
- 1pound broccoli crowns, cut into bite-size pieces
- 8ounces dried whole wheat blend thin spaghetti or linguine
- 3tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1pound large raw shrimp (16-20 count), shelled and deveined
- 4 to 6cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/2cup white wine
- 3tablespoons lemon juice (juice from one lemon)
- 2tablespoons chopped fresh parsley, optional
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the broccoli and cook for 1 minute. Remove with a slotted spoon and set aside. Add the pasta and cook according to package directions. Drain and set aside, reserving one cup of cooking water.
- While the pasta is cooking, heat one tablespoon of the oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the shrimp and cook 1 to 2 minutes per side. Remove shrimp and set aside.
- Heat the remaining oil over medium heat, add the garlic, pepper flakes, and broccoli and cook until the broccoli is crisp-tender and the garlic is light golden, about 4 minutes. Return the shrimp to the skillet along with the wine, lemon juice, and parsley as desired. Raise the heat to high and simmer for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Combine the shrimp mixture with the linguine and toss until well combined. Add some of the reserved cooking water if necessary to keep moist. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Janice Newell Bissex, MS, RD & Liz Weiss, MS, RD Cofounders, Meal Makeover Moms.com