Santa Fe Black Beans
- Yield: 6 servings
- 1tablespoon olive oil
- 4cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 jalapeno chile, seeded and chopped
- 1/2teaspoon ground cumin
- 2cans (15 ounce) black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1can (14 ounce) low-salt chicken broth
- Fresh lime juice to taste
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Chopped fresh cilantro for garnish
- Heat the olive oil in a large heavy saucepan over high heat. Add the garlic, jalapeno chile and cumin and saute for 30 seconds.
- Add the beans and broth and cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Mash the beans coarsely with a potato masher. Cook for 10 minutes or until thick, stirring frequently.
- Season with lime juice, salt and pepper. Spoon into a serving bowl and garnish with cilantro.
Recipe reprinted with permission from the Junior League of Monroe, Inc., Cooking in High Cotton, the Cotton Country Collection (the Junior League of Monroe, Inc., 2008)