Roasted Brussels Sprouts and Wild Rice Salad
- Yield: 4 servings
Start cooking your rice before you prep your sprouts because typical wild rice takes about 45 minutes to cook! While your sprouts and rice cook, slice your kale and make your dressing. You can also serve this on a bed of shredded raw cabbage and additional kale.
- 1pound Brussels sprouts, quartered lengthwise
- 3medium leeks
- Olive oil
- Salt & pepper
- 4stalks Tuscan kale, ribs removed and sliced into ribbons
- 2cups wild rice, cooked
- Feta cheese, crumbled
- For the dressing
- 1/4cup freshly squeezed orange juice
- 1/4cup champagne vinegar
- 1/4cup walnut oil
- 3tablespoons honey, more to taste if desired
- Pinch Kosher salt
- Black pepper, to taste
- Preheat your oven to 400°F with your pan inside. You want it nice and hot so that it will instantly begin to brown your veggies.
- Quarter your Brussels sprouts. Slice the leeks in half lengthwise and rinse thoroughly under cold running water, then dry them. Slice each half leek into ½ inch slices so that they look like half-moons. Try to keep the moons in tact so they cook at the same rate as the sprouts.
- Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Toss to coat.
- Pour sprouts and leeks onto your hot pan, spread out into an even layer, and place back in the oven. Bake 30-40 minutes, stirring after 15. They are done when there are some nice brown pieces, some crispy pieces, and you can pierce the sprouts easily with a fork. Baking time will depend on the size of your sprouts.
- For the Dressing: Combine all ingredients in a container that closes securely. Shake vigorously (i.e. as hard as you can.) until emulsified. There is no emulsifier in this dressing and there is not a lot of oil, so it will begin to separate fairly quickly. Don’t worry; just shake it again before adding to the salad. Make sure you taste it – then adjust your salt, pepper and honey.
- Immediately after you remove your sprouts from the oven, drizzle the entire pan with some honey – not a ton, just enough to add a little sweetness. Gently stir to coat.
- Combine rice, roasted vegetables, and kale in a large bowl; toss with dressing to taste. Sprinkle with feta and serve.
This recipe from Honest Cooking was republished with permission. It originally appeared as Roasted Honey Orange Brussels Sprouts Wild Rice Salad at American Heritage Cooking.