Risotto with Prosciutto and Asparagus
- Yield: 4 servings
- Prep: 15 mins
- Cook: 45 mins
This spring dish comes to us from Chef Alberto Rossetti of Parma, Italy.
- 5cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1tablespoon olive oil
- 2tablespoons unsalted butter, divided
- 1/4cup minced yellow onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 1/4cups short-grained risotto rice (such as Arborio)
- 1pound asparagus, tough ends removed and cut in 1-inch pieces
- 1/2cup freshly grated Parmigiano Reggiano
- 1/4teaspoon salt
- 4 very thin slices Prosciutto di Parma, julienned
- Bring broth to a simmer over medium heat.
- Combine oil and 1 tablespoon butter in a heavy saucepan and heat over medium heat. Add onion; sauté 5 minutes. Add garlic; sauté 30 seconds or until fragrant.
- Add rice; cook 5 minutes, stirring to coat well. Add 1 cup broth; cook, stirring constantly, until absorbed. Continue adding broth by small ladlefuls, stirring constantly and allowing each addition to be absorbed before adding more, until the rice is tender but still firm to the bite and creamy, about 20 minutes in all. Add asparagus during last 5 minutes of cooking.
- Remove from heat and stir in the Parmigiano, remaining butter and salt.
- Divide risotto among 4 pasta bowls, top each serving with Prosciutto, and let it “wilt” over hot rice. Serve immediately.
Nutritional Info *per serving
- Glycemic Load 0
- Calories 290
- Fat 16g
- Saturated Fat 7g
- Polyunsaturated Fat 1g
- Monounsaturated Fat 6g
- Cholesterol 35mg
- Sodium 770mg
- Potassium 540mg
- Carbohydrate 24g
- Fiber 3g
- Sugars 3g
- Protein 18g
- Trans Fat 0
- Vitamin A 20%
- Vitamin C 10%
- Calcium 15%
- Iron 20%