Red Velvet Whoopie Pies
- 1ounce semi sweet chocolate
- 1/2ounce milk chocolate
- 12tablespoons butter, melted
- 1/2cup sour cream
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/2teaspoons red wine vinegar
- 1/2teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1tablespoon red food coloring
- 2 1/4cups all-purpose flour
- 1cup sugar
- 1/4cup cocoa powder
- 2teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 325F.
- Melt the milk and semi sweet chocolates together and set aside but keep warm.
- Mix together the melted butter, sour cream, eggs, vinegar and red food coloring.
- Sift the flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda and salt together and whisk into the wet mixture in two stages.
- Whisk in chocolate.
- Scoop and place onto parchment paper covered sheet pan. Bake at 325 for 8-12 minutes until center springs back when pressed.
- Meanwhile prepare your choice of marshmallow filling, mint marshmallow filling, champagne filling or cream cheese filling. Once whoopee pies have finished baking and have been allowed to cool, spread or pipe onto one side of the whoopie pie and top with another to assemble.
Recipe courtesy of the Hanover Inn, Hanover, N.H.