- Yield: 6 servings
- 6large russet or kinnebec potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/4 by 1/4-inch thick batons
- 2quarts peanut oil
- Salt and pepper
- Rinse cut potatoes in a large bowl with lots of cold running water until water becomes clear. Cover with water by 1-inch and cover with ice.
- Refrigerate at least 30 minutes and up to 1 day.
- In a deep-fryer, heat the oil to 325 degrees F. Be sure not to fill the oil beyond the maximum fill line.
- Drain ice water from cut fries and wrap potato pieces in a clean dishcloth or tea towel and thoroughly pat dry. Add fries, a handful at a time, to the hot oil. Fry, stirring occasionally, until potatoes are soft and limp and begin to turn a blond color, about 6 to 8 minutes. Use the basket to carefully remove fries from the oil and set aside to drain on paper towels. Let rest for at least 10 minutes or up to 2 hours.
- When ready to serve the French fries, reheat the oil to 350 degrees F. Transfer the blanched potatoes to the hot oil and fry again, stirring frequently, until golden brown and puffed, about 3 to 4 minutes. Transfer to paper lined platter and sprinkle with salt and pepper, to taste. Serve immediately.
—Recipe courtesy Emeril Lagasse, copyright MSLO, Inc., all rights reserved