Peaches and Cream Ice Cream
- Yield: 16 cups
If you don’t have a large, 6-quart ice cream maker, divide the amounts by three and use a standard 1 1/-2 or 2-quart machine.
- 8cups half-and-half
- 2 1/4cups turbinado sugar
- 1 1/2cups packed light brown sugar
- 6 eggs, beaten
- 24ounces cream cheese, softened (can use reduced-fat cream cheese)
- 6cups fresh, ripe peaches: 3 cups pureed, 3 cups coarsely chopped
- 1 1/2tablespoons finely shredded lemon rind
- 3tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 1/2tablespoons vanilla bean paste
- 1 1/2cups crushed waffle cones, or butter waffle cookies
- 1 1/2cups diced fresh peaches, sprinkled with 1 to 2 tablespoons turbinado sugar and a splash of bourbon, if desired
- Combine 5 cups half-and-half, turbinado sugar, brown sugar and beaten eggs in a large saucepan over medium heat. Stirring well, cook until just before boiling—little bubbles will form along the rim of the pot. Remove from heat and set aside. The mixture may look curdled.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat cream cheese until smooth. Slowly pour in hot mixture, continuing to beat. Cover and refrigerate until completely chilled—at least 2 hours.
- Stir in remaining 3 cups half-and-half, 3 cups puréed peaches, lemon rind and juice, and vanilla bean paste. Freeze in a 6-quart ice cream maker according to manufacturer’s directions. When the ice cream is almost fully churned, fold in the coarsely chopped peaches.
- Serve with crushed waffle cone and macerated peaches.