Pavlova with Sliced Fruit
- Yield: 8-10 servings
- 2cups sugar
- 6large egg whites
- 1tablespoon vinegar or lemon juice
- 1tablespoon cornstarch
- 3medium kiwi fruit
- 1pound strawberries
- 1bunch black/dark red grapes
- 1sheet parchment paper
- 1large cookie sheet
- 1 1/2pints heavy whipping cream, fresh
- Heat oven to 425F. Trick to this recipe is to have oven very hot at first and place mix in oven as soon as beaten or eggs will go flat.
- Line cookie sheet with parchment paper; trim edges.
- Separate eggs carefully – there should be no yoke in the mixture. Pour eggs white into clean bowl and beat with electric mixer until stiff. You should be able to turn the bowl upside down almost and eggs will not spill. Then gradually add the sugar and cornstarch bit by bit, then the lemon juice or vinegar (they help the meringue part stay white).
- When the mix is nice and shiny and quite stiff pour immediately onto the parchment covered cookie sheet. Spread with back of large spoon and make it higher at the edges than middle. Place immediately in the oven for 5 minutes only or until the meringue is browning slightly. Then turn the oven down to 200F, open the door very gently to let extreme heat escape and then close gently (all this in a couple of seconds!!). Then leave the pavlova base to “cook” (really dry out) for about 2 hours.
- When the pavlova has cooled, fill it with the whipped cream, sliced kiwi, strawberries and grapes – or whatever fruit is in season. Blackberries are an option but will bleed on the cream so best put on 1/2 frozen and served immediately! Delicious.