- Yield: 6 servings
- Prep: 10 mins
- Cook: 40 mins
Baked in a pan in the oven, this no-fuss, no-stir polenta is perfect with almost any spicy stew, such as our Mushroom and Black-Eyed Pea Ragout.
- Cooking spray
- 1/2teaspoon Salt
- 3 1/2cups water or mushroom or vegetable broth
- 1cup coarse, stone-ground yellow cornmeal
- 1tablespoon butter
- 1tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/8teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- 4ounces grated Parmesan cheese
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4cup warm milk, optional
- Preheat oven to 350F. Coat a 13-by-9-inch baking dish with cooking spray.
- Combine salt, water and cornmeal in baking dish. Stir well. (The mixture will separate with meal sinking to the bottom.) Bake, uncovered, 30 minutes.
- Remove from oven; stir well. Bake 10 minutes.
- Stir in butter, olive oil, cayenne pepper, Parmesan and black pepper. Add milk to thin polenta if desired. Serve immediately with Mushroom and Black-Eyed Pea Ragout.
Nutritional Info *per serving
- Calories 190
- Fat 10g
- Cholesterol 20mg
- Sodium 510mg
- Carbohydrate 16g
- Fiber 3g
- Protein 9g