Apricot Chicken Fried Rice
- Yield: 4 servings
- 2tablespoons peanut oil
- 2-- eggs, beaten
- 1/2cup sweet yellow onion, diced
- 2cloves garlic, minced
- 4cups store bought frozen brown rice*
- 2tablespoons soy sauce
- 1tablespoon fish sauce
- 2tablespoons Thai sweet chili sauce
- 2teaspoons freshly grated orange zest (from 1 medium navel orange)
- 3tablespoons freshly squeezed orange juice (from above orange)
- 1cup frozen peas and carrots
- 2cups rotisserie chicken, cut into chunks (about half of a 2 1/2 pound chicken)
- 1/2cup dried apricots, diced
- 1/4cup chopped cilantro
- 1-- additional navel orange, cut into 8 wedges
- -- *4 cups home cooked and chilled brown rice can be substituted for store bought frozen rice if unavailable.
Heat the oil in a large nonstick wok over high heat. Add the eggs and stir until cooked. Move the eggs to the side of the wok and add the onion and garlic and stir to combine with egg. When the onion starts to soften, add the rice and cook, stirring, for one minute. Add the soy sauce, fish sauce, chili sauce, orange zest, and orange juice and stir to combine well. Add the peas and carrots and cook, stirring, for one minute. Add the chicken and apricots and stir to combine well. Cook until the chicken is heated through, then remove from heat.
Divide between 4 serving plates and sprinkle each serving with 1 tablespoon cilantro. Place 2 orange wedges on the side of each plate (to be squeezed over rice, if desired) and pass additional chili sauce to allow diners to add if desired. Serves 4.