Orange and Green Olive Braised Chicken
- Yield: 4 servings
- 8-- chicken thighs (about 2 1/2 pounds)
- 1/2cup flour
- 1teaspoon salt
- 1/2teaspoon black pepper
- 4tablespoons olive oil
- 1-- orange
- 6cloves garlic, peeled
- 1cup orange juice
- 3cups chicken stock
- 3-- dried bay leaves
- 1/4cup pitted green olives
- 1/2teaspoon saffron
- 1/4cup fresh parsley, chopped
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- In gallon size plastic bag with zipper top, combine flour, salt and pepper. Add chicken thighs, seal bag, and toss to completely coat with flour mixture.
- In large, oven-proof sauté pan, warm olive oil over medium high heat. Remove chicken from bag, shake off excess flour and place in pan, skin side down. Cook chicken over medium high heat until golden brown, turning once, about 5 minutes per side.
- While chicken is cooking, peel long strips of zest (skin of the orange with none of the white pitch) from the orange with vegetable peeler. When chicken is browned, add whole peeled garlic cloves to pan, placing around chicken. Reduce heat to medium and cook one minute. Add orange juice and bring to a boil; cook for 3 minutes. Add chicken stock, again bring to a boil and cook another 3 minutes. Add bay leaves, olives, saffron and orange zest to the pan. Cover and place pan in oven.
- Cook chicken until fork can be easily inserted into chicken, about 50 minutes. Remove chicken from pan and place on serving platter. Place pan back on stove and bring to a boil; boil for 5 minutes more. Remove bay leaves and remaining garlic pieces; spoon sauce over chicken, top with parsley and serve