Oodles of Orzo Zucchini Bake
- Yield: 5 servings
- 1cup dried orzo pasta (6 ounces)
- 1tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1/2 small onion, cut into 1/4-inch pieces (1/2 cup)
- 1 medium zucchini (about 9 ounces), unpeeled and shredded (1 1/2 cups)
- 2 large eggs
- 1cup coarsely chopped cooked chicken (6 ounces)
- 1cup shredded reduced-fat Italian blend cheese, divided
- 1/4cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4teaspoon black pepper
- 1 pinch ground nutmeg
- Preheat oven to 350F. Lightly oil or coat and 8-inch-square baking pan with nonstick cooking spray and set aside.
- Cook orzo according to package directions. Drain and transfer to a large bowl.
- Meanwhile, heat 1/2 tablespoon oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring frequently, until softened, about 7 minutes. Increase heat to medium-high; add remaining 1/2 tablespoon oil and zucchini. Cook, stirring frequently, until tender, about 5 minutesStir cooked vegetables, eggs, chicken, 1/2 cup Italian-blend cheese, Parmesan cheese, salt, pepper and nutmeg into orzo. Spread mixture evenly in prepared pan, top with remaining 1/2 cup Italian blend cheese and bake about 15 minutes, until cheese melts and casserole is thoroughly heated.
Reprinted with permission for Liz Weiss and Janice Newell Bissex’s No Whine with Dinner (M3 Press, 2011).
Nutritional Info *per serving
- Calories 360
- Fat 13g
- Sodium 380mg
- Carbohydrate 33g
- Fiber 2g
- Protein 29g