Moroccan Chicken and Raisin Salad on Toasted Flat Bread
- Yield: 4 servings
- Prep: 20 minutes
- Cook: 10 minutes
Before adding the raisins to the salad, they are plumped in orange juice. Almonds and celery are added for a crunchy texture.
- 1/2cup orange juice
- 1/4cup California dark raisins
- 1/4 cup California golden Raisins
- 1/3cup mayonnaise
- 3tablespoons yogurt
- 1/2teaspoon finely grated orange rind
- 1/2teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4teaspoon ground coriander
- 2teaspoons finely chopped mint leaves
- 4 pocketless whole-wheat (or white, if preferred) pitas
- 3tablespoons olive oil, plus more for drizzing, if desired
- 4cups chopped rotisserie chicken
- 1/2cup thinly sliced celery
- 1/4cup sliced almonds
- 1/4teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes, optional
- 1 kosher salt, to taste
- 3cups spinach leaves
- 2/3cup crumbled feta cheese
- 2tablespoons chopped cilantro, if desired
- Place orange juice in a medium microwave-proof bowl. Microwave 1 minute or until very warm. Add raisins. Let soak 5 minutes.
- Combine mayonnaise, yogurt, orange rind, cumin, coriander and mint in a medium bowl. Mix well
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Arrange pitas on a large, baking sheet; brush both sides with olive oil. Bake 4 to 5 minutes or until light golden.
- In a large bowl, combine chicken, celery, almonds and crushed red pepper flakes. Drain raisins and pat dry with paper towel. Add to chicken mixture; toss. Stir in mayonnaise mixture until well combined. Season with salt to taste.
- To serve, top each pita with spinach leaves and chicken mixture, dividing equally. Sprinkle with feta cheese. If desired, sprinkle cilantro and drizzle on a small amount of olive oil.
Recipe by Naylet LaRochelle