Chocolate-Orange Monkey Bread
- Yield: 12 servings
- Prep: 2 hours
- Cook: 30 minutes
- 1packet (1/4-oz) active dry yeast
- 3/4cup milk, warmed to 100°F
- 1/2cup plus 2 tablespoons of sugar, divided
- 1 egg
- 1 1/2 teaspoons finely grated orange peel, divided
- 3cups all-purpose flour
- 1teaspoon coarse salt
- 8tablespoons unsalted butter, softened, divided
- 2teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/2cup semisweet chocolate chunks
- 1/3 cup slivered almonds, toasted
- 1/2 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 3tablespoons orange juice
1. Coat a medium bowl with cooking spray. Combine yeast with milk and 2 Tbsp sugar in a measuring cup. Whisk and let stand until frothy, about 5 minutes. Whisk in egg and 1 tsp orange peel.
2. Combine flour and salt in a food processor. Pulse once to combine. With motor running, pour in yeast mixture. Process until a ball forms. Add 3 Tbsp butter, 1 Tbsp at a time, processing after each addition until incorporated. Turn dough onto a lightly floured surface; knead 1 minute, until smooth and elastic. Place in the greased bowl, cover with plastic wrap, and let stand until doubled in size, about 1 hour.
3. Grease a 10-cup Bundt or tube pan. Place remaining 1/2 cup sugar, remaining 1/2 tsp orange peel and cinnamon in a large, ziptop plastic bag; toss to combine. Tear off wads of dough, roll to form 1-inch balls and add to bag. After adding a few pieces, shake bag to cover dough in sugar and place pieces in pan, scattering chocolate and almonds throughout. Repeat until all dough, chocolate and almonds have been used. Cover in plastic wrap. Refrigerate overnight or let stand at room temperature about 30 minutes, until puffed.
4. If refrigerated, bring dough to room temperature. Preheat oven to 350°F. In a small saucepan over medium heat, whisk together brown sugar and orange juice. Bring to a simmer and add remaining 5 Tbsp butter a little at a time, whisking until incorporated. Pour over bread. Bake 25 to 30 minutes, until golden on top. Let cool 10 minutes on a wire rack; unmold and serve. Serves 12.
Nutritional Info *per serving
- Calories 330
- Fat 12g
- Cholesterol 35mg
- Sodium 180 mg
- Carbohydrate 52g
- Fiber 2g
- Protein 6g