- Yield: 16 servings
Marjorie Reif sent us a recipe from her childhood: Mincemeat Bars. "A favorite of our family all these years, this recipe was from my mother. It always brings back happy memories of Christmas and our family of three children. We lived through the Depression but never felt depressed with goodies like this," says the resident of Spearfish, S.D.
- 3/4cup sugar
- 1/3cup molasses
- 1 1/2cups all-purpose flour
- 2cups old-fashioned oats
- 1/2teaspoon salt
- 3/4cup ( 1 1/2 sticks) butter
- 1 (27-ounce) jar mincemeat
- Preheat oven to 350F. Grease a 9-inch-square baking pan.
- Combine sugar, molasses, flour, oats and salt in a large bowl. Using 2 knives or a pastry blender, cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Press half the oat mixture into prepared pan. Spoon mincemeat over top. Crumble remaining oat mixture evenly over mincemeat. Bake 25 minutes, or until lightly browned. Cool completely on a wire rack before cutting.
—Marjorie Reif, Spearfish, S.D.