- Yield: 8 servings
Strain and use the leftover braising liquid as a sauce for the pork and vegetables or as a base for chowder.
- 2pounds pork shoulder or pork loin
- -- Vegetable oil, for browning
- 1quart whole milk
- 1-- onion, quartered
- 6-- to 8 fresh sage leaves
- 1bunch fresh thyme sprigs
- -- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2teaspoons teaspoons salt
- Heat a large, deep cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat. Add a little oil. When hot, add pork and cook about 5 minutes, turning to brown on all sides. Drain excess oil.
- Add remaining ingredients and bring to a gentle simmer. Cook, uncovered, 2 hours. Turn meat over halfway through cooking. The meat is cooked when tender, but not falling apart. Serve with Fava Been Purée, Caramelized Cipollini and Vegetable Ragout.
Recipe by Chef Ryan Scott for the California Milk Advisory Board.
Nutritional Info *per serving
- Calories 220
- Fat 13g
- Cholesterol 80mg
- Sodium 320mg
- Carbohydrate 1g
- Fiber 0g
- Protein 23g