- 1-2tablespoon oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 4cloves garlic, roughly chopped
- 1-1 1/4pounds chicken breast diced into cubes (or two cans chickpeas, drained)
- 1teaspoon salt
- 2teaspoons cumin
- 2teaspoons chili powder
- 1teaspoon coriander
- 1teaspoon dried Mexican oregano (or a few bay leaves)
- 1/8-1/4teaspoon chipotle powder or cayenne, to taste
- 1 tomato, diced
- 1can diced green chiles (optional)
- 4cups chicken stock
- 4cups water
- 4ounces dry linguini noodles
- juice of one lime
- avocado slices, fresh cilantro, scallions, and lime for garnish
- In a large heavy bottom pot or dutch oven, sauté onion in 1-2 T olive oil over med-high heat for two minutes.
- Add chicken and garlic. Sauté 5-6 minutes until it begins to brown, stirring often.
- Add salt and spices, oregano and cook 1 more minute. Add tomato, chilies, stock and water and bring to a rolling boil over high heat.
- Once boiling, add pasta, resisting the temptation to add more( it will swell). Bring to a boil once more, turn heat to medium, and simmer ten minutes or until pasta is done cooking.
- Squeeze the lime, taste, adjust salt if necessary.
- Place in bowls and top with sliced avocado and fresh cilantro and scallions and serve with a wedge of lime.
This recipe from Feasting at Home and Honest Cooking was republished with permission. It originally appeared as Mexican Chicken Noodle Soup.