Mango Shortcake with Ginger Cream
- Yield: 6 servings
- 1cup heavy whipping cream
- 2tablespoons sugar
- 1/4teaspoon cinnamon
- 2tablespoons finely minced crystallized ginger
- 12 (1/2-inch) thick slices pound cake
- 3tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 1/2tablespoons cinnamon sugar
- 2 firm but ripe mangos, peeled, pitted and cut into small slices
- Mint sprigs
- Beat cream, sugar and cinnamon with an electric mixer until stiff peaks form; stir in crystallized ginger and set aside in the refrigerator until shortcakes are ready to assemble.
- Stir together butter and cinnamon sugar; spread lightly over one side of each cake slice. Grill over medium heat for a few minutes on each side to lightly brown.
- Place half the cake slices on 6 dessert plates, sugar side up. Top with half the whipped cream and half the mango slices. Repeat layers and garnish with mint sprigs.
Recipe courtesy of the National Mango Board