Breakfast Oatmeal Pie
- 2cups rolled oats
- 1/2cup granulated sugar
- 1teaspoon baking powder
- 1teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/8teaspoon ground or freshly grated nutmeg
- 1/2teaspoon fine salt
- 2cups whole milk
- 1 large egg
- 3tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 2teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 recipe Magpie Dough for Flaky Piecrust (linked below), chilled overnight
- 1 ripe banana
- 1cup blackberries or other fresh fruit
- 1tablespoon raw sugar
- maple syrup or honey, for serving
- vanilla yogurt or sweetened whipped cream, for serving
- additional fresh fruit, for serving
- To make the oatmeal filling, whisk the oats, granulated sugar, baking powder, spices, and salt together in a large bowl.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the milk, egg, butter, and vanilla. Add the milk mixture to the oatmeal mixture and stir to combine. Cover with plastic wrap and chill overnight.
- Follow this dough recipe and these instructions to roll, flute, and fully prebake your pie shell. While the shell is cooling, prepare the filling.
- To assemble and bake the pie, preheat the oven to 350°F (175°C) with a rack in the center. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Cut the banana into ¼-inch-thick slices and layer evenly across the bottom of the prepared pie shell.
- Spoon half of the oatmeal mixture over the banana and spread evenly, then layer on the blackberries.
- Top with the remaining oatmeal mixture, spreading evenly. Sprinkle the raw sugar all over the top of the pie.
- Bake the pie on the parchment-lined baking sheet for 35 to 45 minutes, or until the filling is puffed in the center and lightly browned around the edges, rotating halfway through the baking time.
- Transfer the pan to a wire rack and cool the pie 10 minutes before slicing and serving, warm, with your choice of the toppings.
Reprinted with permission from Magpie © 2015 by Holly Ricciardi, Running Press, a member of the Perseus Books Group.