Lemon Lentil Chicken Salad
- Yield: 6 servings
- 1cup (about 6 ounces) lentils
- 3cups fat-free, reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 1/2teaspoons butter
- 3 green onions, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 2teaspoons fresh thyme leaves or 1/2 teaspoon dried
- 1/4cup dry white wine
- 2teaspoons finely grated lemon rind
- 2cups (about 8 ounces) shredded, cooked chicken
- 1/2teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 6ounces butter lettuce, mesclun or other garden lettuce
- 1/2cup chopped fresh basil
- Combine lentils, broth and bay leaf in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer until lentils are tender, about 30 minutes. Drain and discard bay leaf.
- Heat butter in large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add onions and sauté until soft, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and cook, stirring, 1 minute. Add thyme and wine. Cook until linquid is reduced by half, about 2 minutes, scraping the pan to loosen any browned bits. Stir in lemon peel and cooked lentils. Remove from heat and stir in chicken; add with salt and pepper. Serve at room temperature or chill.
- To serve, combine lemon juice and Dijon mustard then whisk in olive oil, salt and pepper to taste; pour over lettuce and toss gently. On a serving platter or individual plates, top lettuce with lentil mixture and garnish with chives.