- Yield: 8 servings
- 1/2cup (1 stick) butter, softened
- 2/3cup packed brown sugar
- 1cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2cup finely chopped flaked coconut
- 3/4cup finely crushed butter crackers
- Lemon custard:
- 1 1/4cups sugar
- 3tablespoons cornstarch
- 3tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2cups water
- 3 egg yolks, beaten
- 2tablespoons butter
- 1 1/2teaspoons grated lemon zest
- 1/3cup fresh lemon juice
For the crust:
- Grease a 9×9-inch baking pan. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Cream the butter and brown sugar in a mixing bowl until light and fluffly.
- Add the flour, baking soda, coconut and cracker crumbs and mix well.
- Press 2 cups of the crumb mixture evenly in the prepared baking pan, reserving the remaining crumb mixture.
- Bake for 10 minutes.
For the custard:
- Maintain the oven temperature at 350 degrees.
- Combine the sugar, cornstarch and flour in a medium saucepan. Add the water gradually, stirring constantly. Cook over medium-high heat until the mixture boils and thickens, stirring constantly. Remove from the heat.
- Stir a small amount of the hot mixture into the beaten egg yolks; stir the egg yolks into the hot mixture. Cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly. Remove from the heat.
- Stir in the butter, lemon zest and lemon juice.
- Pour the custard over the baked crust. Sprinkle evenly with the reserved crumb mixture.
- Bake on the top rack of the oven for 20 minutes. Serve with whipped cream.
Recipe reprinted with permission from the Palo Alto Auxiliary for Children, Tastes, Tales and Traditions (the Palo Alto auxiliary for Chidren, 2005)