Mrs. LBJ's Pedernales River Chili
- Yield: servings
- 4pounds chili meat (coarsely-ground round steak or well-trimmed chuck)
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1teaspoon ground oregano
- 1teaspoon comino seed
- 6teaspoons chili powder (or more, if needed)
- 1 1/2cups canned whole tomatoes
- 2 to 6 generous dashes liquid hot sauce
- 2cups hot water
- Salt to taste
- Place meat, onion and garlic in large, heavy pan or dutch oven. Cook until light in color. Add oregano, comino seed, chili powder, tomatoes, hot pepper sauce, salt and hot water. Bring to a boil, lower heat and simmer for about 1 hour. Skim off fat during cooking.
–Recipe courtesy of the National Archives. Ingredients, measurements and instructions remain accurate to historical records.