Lemon Almond Macaroons
- Yield: 24 pieces
These cookies don't require store-bought almond paste!
- 1 3/4cups blanched almonds (about 8 ounces)
- 1cup sugar
- 2large egg whites
- 2 teaspoons (heaping) freshly grated lemon rind
- 24 almond slivers (optional garnish)
- Position rack in upper third of oven and preheat to 350F. Line baking sheet with parchment or waxed paper, allowing it to extend slightly over sides of baking sheet.
- In food processor, grind almonds with sugar until mixture forms even crumbs. (Process in batches if you have a small processor.) Add egg whites and lemon rind and process until smooth.
- Drop by tablespoons onto prepared baking sheet, spacing about 1 inch apart. With moistened fingers, press slightly to flatten each macaroon until they’re about 1/2 inch high. If desired, press an almond sliver into top of each. Bake until very lightly but evenly browned, about 18-20 minutes. Centers should still be soft. Remove from oven.
- Lift one end of paper and pour about 2 tablespoons of water under it, onto baking sheet; water will boil in contact with baking sheet. Lift other end of paper and pour about 2 tablespoons of water under it also. Tilt pan so water spreads under all the cookies. When water stops boiling, remove macaroons carefully from paper.Transfer to rack and cool. Store in airtight container. Also freezes well.
Nutritional Info *per serving
- Calories 95
- Fat 5g
- Saturated Fat 0.4g
- Cholesterol 0mg
- Sodium 8mg
- Carbohydrate 11g
- Fiber 1g
- Sugars 9g
- Protein 2.5g