Holiday Dressing Patties
- Yield: 4 servings
"When my sisters, brothers and I were growing up, my mother would make these crispy dressing patties, and we would eat them as fast as she could cook them. My four children enjoyed them just as we did, and now they are making them, too. Aren't family traditions wonderful?"
- 3tablespoons butter
- 1/4cup bulk pork sausage
- 1/4cup minced onion
- 1/2cup finely chopped celery
- 1/8teaspoon salt
- 1/8teaspoon pepper
- 1/2cup chicken or turkey broth
- 1 to 1 1/2teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1/8teaspoon celery salt
- 10slices white bread, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- Melt 1 tablespoon of the butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the sausage and cook until browned, breaking up large pieces with a spoon.
- Add the onion, celery, salt, and pepper and cook for 2 minutes, stirring frequently. Stir in the broth, poultry seasoning, and celery salt. Remove from the heat.
- Place the bread cubes in a large bowl. Pour the sausage mixture over the bread; mix well. Let stand for 10 to 15 minutes. Shape the mixture into 8 patties about 3 1/2 inches in diameter.
- Melt the remaining 2 tablespoons butter in the skillet over medium heat. When bubbly, add the patties, in batches if necessary, and cook until golden, about 2 minutes on each side.
Barb Casola, Venice, Fla.