Hearty Bean Loaf with Caramelized Leeks
- Yield: 4 to 6 servings
- 1medium all-purpose potato, peeled and cut in large pieces
- 1 (1-pound, 13-ounce) can black beans, drained and pressed to remove excess moisture
- 1/2 to 3/4cup fresh breadcrumbs
- 1/2cup grated sharp Cheddar cheese or Monterey jack ckeese
- 1/4cup shelled pumpkin seeds
- 1tablespoon canola oil
- 1medium leek, chopped and rinsed well
- 1 rib celery, chopped
- 1/2 green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1/2 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 jalapeno or serrano chili, seeded and minced
- 1teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2teaspoon ground cumin
- 2tablespoons chopped cilantro
- 2tablespoons ketchup
- Salt, to taste
- 2tablespoons barbecue sauce (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- Boil potato in water to cover 15 minutes until tender. Drain well and mash lightly in a large mixing bowl with a fork until chunky. Add well-drained black beans, 1/2 cup bread crumbs, cheese and pumpkin seeds and stir to combine.
- Heat oil in a large nonreactive skillet over medium heat. Add leeks, celery, peppers, chili peppers and dried spices and saute 4 minutes until lightly caramelized. Add cilantro and ketchup; mix well.
- Add sauteed vegetable mixture to bean mixture and combine well. Season with salt. Mixture should be very thick, almost the texture of ground beef. If it appears a little loose, add additional fresh bread crumbs.
- Spray an 8 x 3 3/4 x 2 1/2-inch loaf pan with no-stick cooking spray. Spoon bean mixture into loaf pan, forming a raised mound lengthwise down center of pan. Make crisscross marks with back of a butter knife across top. If you want a glazed loaf, brush surface with your favorite barbecue sauce before baking. Bake, uncovered, about 40 minutes until surface is golden. Cool in pan 15 minutes before removing from pan and slicing.
Nutritional Info *per serving
- Calories 243
- Fat 9g
- Cholesterol 10mg
- Sodium 275mg
- Carbohydrate 35g
- Fiber 8g
- Protein 11g