Grilled Shrimp Skewers with Mini Spinach Salads
- Yield: 10 servings
- Prep: 15 mins
- Cook: 6 mins
Look for the Jamaican jerk or Latin seasoning in the spice section of the supermarket. Serve as an appetizer or entrée.
- 2tablespoons vegetable or olive oil
- 2tablespoons Latin seasoning or Jamaican jerk seasoning
- 2tablespoons lime juice
- 1pound large shrimp (20 count), peeled and deveined, tails left on
- 4cups baby spinach and/or watercress
- 1large orange
- 1small red bell pepper
- 1 avocado, peeled and chopped
- 2 green onions, sliced
- 1/4cup purchased balsamic vinaigrette
- 10 (5-6 inch) wooden skewers, soaked in water for 30 minutes
- 1/2teaspoon finely shredded orange peel
- 3tablespoons crumbled goat cheese
- Combine oil, seasoning, lime juice and shrimp in a heavy plastic bag. Let stand 30 minutes at room temperature (or refrigerate up to 4 hours).
- Place spinach in a salad bowl. Peel orange with a knife so very little of the white pith remains; slice vertically and quarter slices. Add orange pieces, red bell pepper, avocado and green onions to spinach. Add vinaigrette; toss well to coat.
- Prepare grill. Thread 2 shrimp onto each skewer. Grill 3 to 4 minutes per side, until just thoroughly cooked and opaque in color (take care not to overcook).
- Divide spinach mixture among 10 appetizer plates. Sprinkle with orange peel and goat cheese. Top each with 1 shrimp skewer. Drizzle with a little more vinaigrette, if desired.
Nutritional Info *per serving
- Glycemic Load 0
- Calories 140
- Fat 9g
- Saturated Fat 1.5g
- Polyunsaturated Fat 2g
- Monounsaturated Fat 2g
- Cholesterol 60mg
- Sodium 650mg
- Potassium 170mg
- Carbohydrate 6g
- Fiber 2g
- Sugars 2g
- Protein 8g
- Trans Fat 0g
- Vitamin A 15%
- Vitamin C 30%
- Calcium 4%
- Iron 4%