Grilled Eggplant Pita Sandwiches
- Yield: 6 servings
- Prep: 15 mins
- Cook: 10 mins
If desired, salt eggplant slices and let stand for ten minutes, then rinse them off with cold water and pat dry before preparing the recipe. This helps draw some of the more astringent compounds out of them.
- 3-- 1/2-pound eggplants, trimmed, peeled if desired
- 3tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 3tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 3tablespoons peanut butter
- 1tablespoon grated peeled fresh ginger
- 1tablespoon peanut oil
- 1/2teaspoon crushed red pepper (optional)
- 1 1/2cups baby spinach or torn mixed greens
- 6-- 6-inch pitas, warmed
- 1/2cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 6tablespoons chopped peanuts
- Prepare grill.
- Slice eggplants crosswise into 1/2-inch discs.
- Stir together vinegar and soy sauce. Divide mixture between two small bowls. In one bowl, add peanut butter; stir well. In second bowl, stir in ginger, peanut oil and crushed red pepper, if using.
- Brush ginger mixture on both sides of eggplant slices.
- Grill over medium heat until just softened and slightly charred, about 5 minutes per side, brushing occasionally with ginger mixture.
- Layer eggplant and spinach over each pita. Add cilantro and peanuts. Drizzle with peanut butter mixture.
Recipe by David Feder.
Nutritional Info *per serving
- Calories 330
- Glycemic Load 18
- Fat 12g
- Saturated Fat 2g
- Polyunsaturated Fat 3.5g
- Monounsaturated Fat 5g
- Cholesterol 0mg
- Sodium 600mg
- Potassium 480mg
- Carbohydrate 45g
- Fiber 7g
- Sugars 5g
- Protein 12g
- Trans Fat 0g
- Vitamin A 6%
- Vitamin C 6%
- Calcium 8%
- Iron 15%