Grilled Chopped Steakhouse Salad
- Yield: 4 servings
- 4ounces French bread, cut into 3/4
- 3/4pound flank steak, trimmed
- 1/2teaspoon salt
- 1/4teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 small head iceberg lettuce, chopped (4 cups)
- 1 large cucumber, peeled, seeded, and chopped
- 1 pint grape tomatoes, halved
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 1 large red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 Gala apple, peeled, cored, and chopped
- 1/2 small red onion, chopped
- 3tablespoons finely chopped shallots
- 2tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
This salad is just like one you might order at your favorite steakhouse, but much healthier and lower in calories. Olive oil, balsamic vineger, dijon mustard, and shallots make a tasty and light dressing.
1. PREHEAT the oven to 425°F. Coat a baking sheet with cooking spray.
2. ARRANGE the bread cubes on the baking sheet in a single layer. Bake until lightly golden and crisp, 7 to 8 minutes. Cool on the pan.
3. HEAT a large nonstick grill pan coated with cooking spray over medium-high heat. Sprinkle the steak with 1/4 teaspoon of the salt and 1/8 teaspoon of the pepper. Set the steak on the grill pan. Cook for 5 to 6 minutes per side for medium-rare to medium. Transfer to a cutting board and let stand for 10 minutes.
4. COMBINE the bread cubes, lettuce, cucumber, tomatoes, carrots, bell pepper, apple, and onion in a large bowl. Combine the shallots, vinegar, mustard, and remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/8 teaspoon pepper in a separate bowl. Whisk in the oil until well combined. Pour over the salad and toss well. Divide among 4 serving plates. Thinly slice the steak across the grain and top each salad with one-quarter of the steak.
MAKE IT A MEAL
1 cup sweet iced tea 60 CALORIES
400 CALORIES PER MEAL
Reprinted from 400 Calorie Fix by Liz Vaccariello with Mindy Hermann, RD, and the Editors of Prevention. Copyright (c) 2010 by Rodale Inc. By permission of Rodale, Inc., Emmaus, PA 18098.
Nutritional Info *per serving
- Calories 340
- Fat 11 g
- Saturated Fat 4 g
- Sodium 590 mg
- Carbohydrate 36 g
- Fiber 5 g
- Protein 24 g
- Calcium 8 %