Green Habanero Salsa
NOTE: Habaneros are HOT! To protect yourself, wear rubber gloves and work on a cutting board. Don’t touch your eyes and face unless you want to run around the kitchen wincing in pain.
- 2 habaneros, deseeded and tops removed
- 1 garlic clove, peeled
- 1/2 white onion, top and bottom removed and peeled
- 2/3cup cilantro leaves and stems, roughly chopped
- 2 limes, juiced
- 1/2teaspoon kosher salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- Up to 1/2 cup blanche water
- In a pot of boiling water, blanche the habaneros, garlic, and onion for 3 minutes. Add the cilantro and boil for another minute.
- Scoop the ingredients out and into an ice bath to stop the cooking, reserving the blanche water.
- Roughly chop up the onion and place all of the ingredients, except the water, in a food processor.
- Puree until smooth and drizzle in water until quite thin and liquid. Taste with a chip and adjust. Keep in the fridge for up to two weeks.
Tasting Note: You should taste everything as you cook, so make sure to taste your salsa with a tortilla chip. You want to make sure you have the right balance of seasoning, so trying it with a tortilla chip will give you a more accurate idea.