Green Chile Pilaf
- Yield: 8 servings
- 1pound tomatillos, husked, washed, quartered
- 2large jalapeno peppers, seeded, chopped
- 2cups water
- 1/2cup chopped onion
- 2cups chopped cilantro stems and leaves
- 1tablespoon salt
- 6-- poblano chiles, roasted, peeled, seeded
- 5-- romaine lettuce leaves
- 4-- green onions, chopped
- 6-- garlic cloves, peeled
- 1/4cup olive oil
- 3cups long grain rice, rinsed
- Combine the tomatillos, jalapeno peppers and water in a blender container. Process until chunky. Add the onion, cilantro, salt, chiles, lettuce, green onions and garlic. Process for 2 minutes or until smooth. Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the rice. Saute for 5 minutes or until the rice is golden brown and crackling. Add the tomatillo mixture; mix well. Simmer, covered, for 40 to 45 minutes or until the liquid is absorbed and the rice is tender. Stir with a fork. Serve hot.
Recipe reprinted with permission from the Junior League of Phoenix’s Reflections Under the Sun (the Junior League of Phoenix Inc., Phoenix, Az., 1999).