Green Chile Bread Pudding with Avocado Salsa
- Yield: servings
- 5large eggs
- 1cup whole Real California milk
- 2/3cup Real California heavy cream
- 1teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4teaspoon salt
- 1/4teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4teaspoon dried oregano
- 3/4cup (2 1/2 ounces) loosely packed coarsely shredded sharp Real California Cheddar cheese
- 1/2cup (1 1/2 ounces) loosely packed coarsely shredded Real California Monterey Jack cheese
- 2tablespoons canned diced green chiles
- 6 1/2cups trimmed and cubed (3/4 inch) day-old French or Italian bread
- Avocado Salsa:
- 1 ripe but firm avocado, peeled and finely chopped (about 1 cup)
- 1/2cup finely chopped tomato
- 2tablespoons finely chopped yellow onion
- 1 1/2tablespoons finely chopped seeded jalapeno pepper
- 1small garlic clove, finely minced
- 2 to 3tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- Fresh lime juice, to taste (about 2 tablespoons)
- Salt, to taste (about 1/4 teaspoon)
- Adjust oven rack to lower third of oven. Preheat oven to 350F. Generously butter 12 muffin tin cups, set aside.
- Bread Puddings: In a large bowl, whisk the eggs, milk and cream to blend thoroughly. Mix in the chili powder, salt, cumin and oregano, then mix in the cheeses and chiles. Add the bread; mix thoroughly. Divide the mixture evenly among the muffin tin cups.
- Bake 25 to 30 minutes, or until a knife blade inserted into the centers comes out clean. Cool 5 to 10 minutes. Slide a knife blade around puddings to loosen them; lift out of molds with a small spatula. Serve warm or at room temperature with Avocado Salsa.
- Avocado Salsa: In a large bowl, gently mix all ingredients to blend thoroughly. Serve without delay.
Recipe courtesy of the California Milk Advisory Board