Garlic Chicken with Avocado Cream
- Yield: 4 servings
- 4-- boneless, skinless chicken breasts halves (or 8 boneless, skinless
- -- chicken thighs)
- 1/4cup chopped cilantro leaves
- 2tablespoons minced garlic
- 1/4cup fresh lemon juice
- 1tablespoon lemon zest
- 2teaspoons Cavendar's Greek seasoning
- 1/4cup olive oil
- Garlic Lemon Basting Sauce
- 1cup mayonnaise
- 2teaspoons minced garlic
- 2teaspoons lemon juice
- Avocado Cream
- 1-- avocado, peeled and pitted, cut in chunks
- 1cup Crema Mexicana or heavy cream
- 1teaspoon fresh lime juice
- 1tablespoon minced cilantro
- 1-- shallot, chopped
- 1/2teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 to 1teaspoon minced jalapeno, to taste
- -- Salt and pepper to taste
To marinate the chicken, place chicken pieces in a large zip-lock bag. In a small bowl, mix together the chopped cilantro, garlic, lemon juice, lemon zest, Cavendar's Greek Seasoning and oil. Pour mixture over chicken and close the bag. Toss chicken around in marinade to coat all pieces. Marinate in the refrigerator for 2 hours to overnight. Remove from refrigerator when ready to bake.
Preheat oven to350F.
While oven is preheating, make the basting sauce by combining the mayonnaise, garlic and lemon juice in a small bowl. Set aside.
To make the avocado cream, place avocado, Crema Mexicana, lime juice, cilantro, shallot, cumin, garlic powder and 1/2 teaspoon minced jalapeno in a blender; puree until smooth. Add more jalapeno if you like it hotter. Salt and pepper to taste. Set aside.
Place chicken pieces in an ungreased baking dish. Generously baste both sides of chicken with basting sauce. Bake for 10 minutes and then baste. Bake another 10 minutes and baste again. Bake about 15 more minutes, or until fork can be inserted easily into chicken and juices run clear.
To serve, cut the chicken breasts in large diagonal slices. For chicken thighs, cut them in half. Place a chicken breast or two thighs on a serving plate. Spoon some avocado cream across the top of the chicken. If desired, garnish with cilantro sprigs, lemon wedges or slices and lime wedges or slices. Serves 4.