- Yield: 6 servings
- 1cup nonfat buttermilk
- 1large whole egg
- 1large egg white
- 3tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2/3cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2cup whole wheat flour
- 1/4cup cornmeal
- 1/3cup rolled oats
- 2 1/4teaspoons baking powder
- 2tablespoons sugar
- Combine the buttermilk, whole egg, egg white, and oil in a large bowl.
- Combine the flours, cornmeal, rolled oats, baking powder, and sugar in a separate bowl.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and stir just until moistened.
- Preheat the waffle iron to medium-high. Lightly spray it with vegetable oil. Pour about ¾ cup of the batter onto the waffle iron and cook until the waffles are crisp, golden, and cooked through, 3 to 6 minutes per waffle.
*If you don’t have buttermilk, you can sour regular milk by adding 1 tablespoon of either lemon juice or white vinegar to 1 cup of warmed milk. Let it rest for 10 to 15 minutes before using.
From Healthy Cooking: At Home With the Culinary Institute of America; Wiley 2010