Hearty Fish Shop Stew
- 1/2cup virgin olive oil
- 2 1/2cups onions, diced
- 2 1/2cups celery, diced
- 2 1/2cups green bell peppers, diced
- 1/4cup garlic, chopped
- 1teaspoon fresh thyme, chopped
- 1teaspoon fresh rosemary, chopped
- 1/2teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 3cups marinara sauce
- 1 1/2cups red wine
- 1/2gallon fish stock
- 1teaspoon kosher salt
- 1teaspoon ground black pepper
- 24ounces chopped mixed seafood
- 8 shrimp, peeled and deveined
For the stock:
- In a large pot, add ½ cup of virgin olive oil and place on stove top on medium heat. Let the oil warm.
- Add diced onions, diced celery and chopped garlic. Cook roughly 2-3 minutes.
- Add fresh chopped rosemary, green bell peppers, crushed red pepper and bay leaf. Continue to cook for another 2-3 minutes.
- Add red wine and continue to cook for another 2-3 minutes.
- Add marinara sauce, fish stock, kosher salt and ground black pepper. Bring all to a boil.
For the fish:
- In a sauté pan, add ¼ tsp of virgin olive oil and place on stove top on medium heat.
- Once oil is warm, add chopped mixed seafood and eight shrimp. Add kosher salt and ground black pepper to taste. Cook for 3-4 minutes.
- Portion fish and shrimp out in bowls and add stock and serve.
Recipe courtesy of Encinitas Fish Shop.