- Yield: 7 cups
- 6 whole eggs
- 2 egg yolks
- 1cup granulated sugar
- 1/4teaspoon sea salt
- 3cups whole milk
- 1tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 to 2cup bourbon whiskey
- 1 to 2teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg
- 1cup heavy cream
- 1/4cup vanilla sugar (or plain granulated sugar)
- Combine eggs, egg yolks, sugar and salt in a heavy bottom sauce pot. Whisk until smooth, then stir in milk.
- Cook and stir over low heat until custard is cooked to about 165F, or until thick enough to coat the back of a wooden spoon. Remove from heat and add vanilla extract, bourbon and nutmeg. Cool completely.
- To finish, whisk cream and vanilla sugar in a mixing bowl until cream reaches stiff peaks. Fold cream into chilled custard. Pour into serving glasses and finish with a pinch of nutmeg and drizzle of bourbon (optional).
Watch us make the recipe here: