Drunken Quinoa Stuffed Peppers
- Yield: 4 servings
- Prep: 5 minutes
- Cook: 20 minutes
This divine side dish is an easy, breezy, healthy, tasty bit of eye candy on a plate.
- 4 red and orange peppers
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1/4teaspoon sea salt, divided
- 1cup quinoa
- 2cups vegetable stock
- 1/2cup California golden raisins
- 1/4teaspoon cumin
- 1/4teaspoon brown sugar
- 1/4teaspoon cinnamon
- 1dash cayenne pepper
- 2tablespoons golden rum
- 1tablespoon Meyer lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Cut off tops of peppers and rinse out seeds. Brush inside and out with 1 tablespoon olive oil and sprinkle with half the sea salt. Place in a baking dish and bake 10 minutes. Set aside.
- Rinse quinoa and drain. Combine vegetable stock and quinoa in a saucepan. Add raisins, cumin, brown sugar, cayenne pepper, cinnamon, remaining salt, rum, lemon juice and remaining olive oil. Bring to a boil and simmer until water is absorbed, about 15 minutes.
- Stuff peppers with quinoa mixture and top off with additional rum if desired. Reheat or serve room temperature.
Recipe by Katherine Kaufman