Pavani Hideout / Cook's Hideout Pavani Hideout
- 2cups chopped Gongura leaves (or Swiss chard)
- 1/2cup black eyed peas
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 small tomato, finely chopped
- 1/2teaspoon ginger-garlic paste
- 2 green chiles, slit
- 1/4teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1/2teaspoon red chili powder
- 1/2teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1/2teaspoon chana dal
- 1/2teaspoon urad dal
- 1 dry red chili
- curry leaves
- salt, to taste
- Soak black eyed peas for 2-3 hours, then pressure cook them until soft and tender. Drain and set aside.
- Heat oil in a pan, add dry red chili, chana dal, urad dal, mustard and cumin seeds. Once the seeds start to splutter, add the curry leaves and green chilies. Cook for 30 seconds.
- Next add onions, ginger and garlic paste, cook for 2-3 minutes or the onions are crisp and tender. Don’t overcook the onions, curry tastes great if they are left a little crunchy.
- Add the chopped gongura and turmeric. Cover and cook till the leaves wilt and are cooked through.
- Next add the tomato, red chili powder, coriander powder and salt. Cover and cook till the tomato gets mushy, about 2~3 minutes.
- Finally add the cooked black eyed peas and little water, mix well, cover and cook for 4~5minutes for the flavors to mingle. Serve with rice or roti.
This recipe from Pavani Hideout and Honest Cooking was republished with permission. It originally appeared as Gongura Bobbulara Kura.
Pavani Hideout / Cook’s Hideout